Friday, November 2, 2007

Opposition to Peace: Part Two

Jake, who is quickly becoming my straw man, said:

"How about this for peace: the absence of war and other hostilities. That's all we're talking about. "

I rejoined:

I have already explained that a) That isn't possible as such and even if it were, B) It isn't desirable. That was one of my options, though perhaps you didn't see it.

Abscence of conflict is not something that can be achieved because it is not a positive goal. In the case of the middle east, or even just in general the only way to achieve an abscence of conflict is to surrender our way of life and our principles, and adapt those of our enemy, that is to say, the party with whom we have a conflict. By becoming homogenous with those that hate us, we would remove conflict because we would be the same as them. (However, this is more or less the peace of the slave.)

Thank you for the segway into my next point though. More to come later.

No comments: